After years of anticipation, Walt Disney World Resorts announced that it’s newest “land” will be opening August 29, 2019. Called Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, this new Disney attraction component will transport kids, teens, parents, and Disney aficionados to a land far, far away with galactic dining, immersive rides and attractions, custom merchandise, outpost shops, and more.
Amidst the resurgence of Star Wars love and appreciation, with new movies being released every year (or so) since 2015, families can’t wait to be part of this new attraction unveiling. So what can you expect at Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge? We’re going to break down the park opening and everything you need to know before you show up looking for your lightsaber.
Star Wars Attractions
The stars of the show are the attractions themselves, intergalactic and engaging in nature. When the park opens, attendees will be able to go on the following ride:
- Millennium Falcoln: Smugglers Run. This ride enables groups to fly the famous Millennium Falcon on a thrilling, interactive smuggling mission, dodging alien foes, meteors, and other obstacles while they – hopefully – make it to their destination. Modeled after the move Millennium Falcon, riders will be able to experience outer space from a 360-degree viewpoint, with all of the classic dashboard knobs and lights available in front of them.
Opening later this year will be an additional attraction, known as the:
- Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance. This seated rollercoaster-type ride will take riders through a climactic battle against the First Order. Interactive videos, imagery, and 3D images will be moving and engaging around the entire roller coaster seated car, making passengers feel like they are truly part of the battle.
Did you really go to the new Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge if you don’t come home with some interstellar toys and merchandise? Disney knows just how important gadgets, robots, and lightsabers from the world of Star Wars is to fans, which is why there will be two different custom merchandise spots to shop at:
- Savi’s Workshop: You can receive your own hand built lightsaber at this hidden workshop. It will not be marked or easy to find; instead, you will have to “earn your right” to find the workshop. That is all Disney has said for now. At the shop, build your own custom lightsaber that continues traditions of the Force for eons to come.
- Droid Depot: In order to grow your sci-fi following, you’re going to need a droid that supports you and all of your endeavors. Have your own customized droid built and assembled for your needs at the Droid Depot, right in the heart of the park.
Protecting the universe from evil forces can help anyone work up an appetite. That’s why you need to check out the galactic dining options available to you once the park opens:
- Oga’s Cantina: Drop by the famous cantina in the Star Wars movies to sample local beverages and curious concoctions. Beware: some of the tastes might be a little too futuristic for your tastebuds.
- Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo: For those that need a hearty meal, drop by the Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo, where you can dine inside a hangar bay and feast on galactic favorites. You might be surprised at what’s cooking at this establishment.
- Milk Stand: Sip on the blue or green milk that Luke Skywalker famously drank during the first franchise of Star Wars movies. Not to mention, get an incredible picture you can post on your Instagram!
- Ronto Roasters: For the meat lovers, sink your teeth into grilled sausage and a roasted pork wrap at Ronto Roasters.
- Kat Saka’s Kettle: Grab either sweet or savory popcorn at this spot, making it a great snacking destination for those looking to meander their way around the park.
You need more than a lightsaber and droid; you need some galactic clothing and artifacts that you can bring home with you. Check out the:
- Dok-Ondar’s Den of Antiquities: Shop rare and unique artifacts that are collected by legendary antiquities dealers.
- Black Spire Outfitters: Grab some colorful apparel that will help you travel your way through light-years and beyond. Bring some pieces home as souvenirs for friends and family.
- Creature Stall: Learn more about the exotic creatures and critters that inhabit the entire universe. You might even be able to bring one home!
- Toydarian Toymaker: Check out handcrafted toys, made by local artisans, available with the park opening.
Choose Your Side
Not everyone wants to be part of the resistance, which is why you have the option of picking your side when you enter the Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge park. You can choose the First Order Cargo, where you can proclaim your allegiance to the mighty First Order and shop for recruitment gear.
Otherwise, side with the Resistance Supply, where you can aid your next daring mission in the fight against the First Order. Allow your kids to pick the side they want, adding some fun and versatility to the family outing.
Know Before You Go
Millions of people are going to want to be part of this park opening, which is why you need to plan ahead. Park tickets, annual passes, vacation packages, and hotel stays will not guarantee access to the park.
The experience will be located in Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Access will be extremely limited within the first few months of the park opening. The Rise of the Resistance ride will not open in August. A finalized opening date has not been announced at this time.
Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge will be included during Extra Magic Hours at the Hollywood Studios. From September 1 until November 2 of this year, the Extra Magic Hours benefit is being offered every morning to Disney Hollywood Studios for participating hotels.
Stay tuned for the latest park announcements, changes, and ride opening dates that have not yet been released!